01/16 - The best iOS development links
The best iOS development links from January 2016.
- Moving On: “We have a difficult announcement to make. Beginning today we’re winding down the Parse service, and Parse will be fully retired after a year-long period ending on January 28, 2017.“
- iOS shipments overtook Windows in 2015 for the first time: iOS has become a huge platform. So it’s good to be an iOS developer, isn’t it?
- CocoaPods App: CocoaPods now has a Mac app. Very cool!
- The Swift Evolution proposal SE-0009 rejection: Since Swift has become open source, there were some interesting evolution proposals. Read about this particular proposal to learn about the usage of “self”.
- When To Use Mutating Functions in Swift Structs: Two approaches to achieve mutability in structs.
- Swift Tutorial: Introduction to Generics: Generics are a very cool feature in Swift. In this tutorial you learn all you need to know about them.
- Swift 2 Parse JSON (Deserialisation): As an iOS developer you will quickly get to the point where you need to parse JSON. So be prepared and read this very good post.
- Is Apple Using Swift in iOS?: Swift has made an awesome development and a lot of developers are using Swift already. But how much is Apple using Swift?
- Getting Started With Swift — Protocols: If you want to have a great software architecture in your app, you should use protocols. Especially since Swift 2.0 and the introduction of protocol extensions there is a lot to learn about it. This article is a very good introduction.
- Dictionaries in Swift: An in-detph introduction to dictionaries in Swift.
- Profiling your Swift compilation times: Great tip to profile and to improve your Swift compilation times.
- 15 Tips to Become a Better Swift Developer: These tips are really awesome! I especially like the ones about defining constants and cleaning up asynchronous code.
- Awesome-Swift-Education: Very good list of iOS and Swift resources.
- Enum-Driven View Controllers: View controllers tend to become very chaotic in iOS projects. By using enums you can achieve a better structure of your view controllers.
- NSNotificationCenter is Probably an Anti-Pattern: I’ve never been a fan of using NSNotification Center…
- NSURLSession Tutorial: Getting Started: A very good overview about NSURLSessions.
On this blog
- 12/15: The Best iOS Development Links: The best iOS development links from December 2015.
- Interview: Natasha The Robot: Natasha The Robot is an iOS development industry leader. She blogs at natashatherobot.com and publishes a weekly Swift newsletter at swiftnews.curated.co. Her Twitter handle is @NatashaTheRobot.
- 10 Reasons You Should Blog As A Developer: Blogging is a great thing – especially for developers! This is a list of 10 reasons why you should blog as a developer.
- Network Link Conditioner: In this post we will discuss how you can simulate a bad network connection by using the Network Link Conditioner.
- How To Become An iOS Developer: So you want to become an iOS developer, but you don’t know how? No problem, in this post we will discuss how to do it.
- Why iOS Developers Should Look Into Android Development: It is a very good idea to specialise in one area, but in addition you should also look into other areas as well. So an iOS developer should have a basic understanding of Android development.
- The Most Common Mistake In Using UITableViews: UITableView is one of the most important user interface objects you are using in iOS development. However, there is one common mistake in using UITableViews that could drive you crazy.
- How To Use Both Swift And Objective-C In One Project?: The Swift and Objective-C interoperability is very good so that it is very easy to use both Swift and Objective-C in one project.
Title Image: @ Gustavo Frazao / shutterstock.com